The main farming enterprise on the Estate is beef product.
- We have a herd of 200 pedigree South Devon cattle that produce organic beef for Waitrose.
- Each cow produces one calf a year, and the herd calves in either the Spring or the Autumn.
- The calves stay with their mothers growing naturally on their rich milk.
- The calves are weaned at approximately 9 months old once the mother has stopped producing milk.
- They are then reared separately from their mothers until they are about 2 years old when they are sold to Waitrose.
- We have recently converted to organic farming methods.
You may well have seen the brown South Devon cows grazing the valleys in and around Hedgerley. The calves
with the white faces are sired by Hereford Bulls.